This is hopefully the first of many recipe posts, I always want to share things I make but always forget to take photos ; ) but last night I did manage to get a little instagram in as I was quite proud of making butternut soup from scratch. Woolworths is promoting their premade soups like nothing else as the chilly weather is definitely arriving in Joburg, I almost bought some when I decided I’d rather make my own.
I scoured the internet for a recipe and came across this delicious recipe from a south african site called Cook Sister. You will need:
1 fresh butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cubed
1 large onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, crushed
2 cups of chicken stock
Half a cup cream
1 tsp curry powder (as hot as you like)
Salt and black pepper
1. Toss the chopped onion and garlic in a pot and sauté, don’t burn or caramelize. They must be translucent but still white.
2. Add the peeled butternut and chicken stock and bring to the boil.
3. When the butternut is soft, mash (as in MASH, don’t liquidise or pulverise!).
4. Add the other ingredients and stir.
5. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
6. And eat.
Trust me on this one! It’s delicious and very satisfying.