The changing of the seasons always brings a new mood, and spring is always one of hope and change. Cleaning up, clearing out and bringing things back down to earth.
Peeling back the layers that we hid over the winter months, and being honest again about where we’re at.
I have been on a journey of awareness over the last year, and have become more and more conscious of what I choose to consume.
A huge part has been an awareness around food, the environment and reducing my consumption of farmed animals / animal products.
I have changed to an almost completely whole food, plant based diet, and i’m learning to navigate how that looks day to day.
The key is variety and to not get stuck and bored on one thing, otherwise you can feel deprived.
Experiment with loads of recipes and find a few easy go-to’s that are quick and easy to make in the morning, and also make sure they’re packed with nutrients and will keep you full til your next meal.
I love a good smoothie for breakfast, but today I want to share a few of my favourite easy plant based breakfasts!
All the recipes feature the New Spring Kitchen Range from Country Road, which is full of beautiful stoneware measuring cups and mixing bowls, as well as a full set of plates, bowls and side plates. I’m also enjoying the subtle pops of pinks and mauve, which worked perfectly in my space.
What’s for breakfast?
1. AB + B on Sweet Potato Toast (GF + sugar free)
Easy peasy Sweet Potato Bread (from Wellness Warehouse), with creamy almond butter, topped with sliced banana served on the Tiro Stoneware dinner plate.
So scrumptious and filling on days when I’m really hungry and have a big morning ahead.
2. State of Flax ‘Chocolate Pronutro’
My sister shared this recipe with me while on holiday in December, and I love it because it’s easy, cheap and quick, and tastes just like Chocolate pronutro!
I used to love it growing up, but this is a much yummier, healthier version with all the Omegas you need.
For one serving, all you need is:
- 4 TBS Flaxseeds (mill them in your Nutribullet, or food processor, or use flaxseed powder). TIP: Linseeds are the same thing as Flaxseeds.
- 1 TBS Cocoa (I like mine quite chocolatey!)
- 1 Cup Almond Mylk, or Coconut Mylk for something more indulgent. Add a bit less, or a bit more if you like. It does get quite thick.
- Maple Syrup to taste (I like putting in 1 TBS).
- Add fresh berries, sliced banana or any other fruit you like.
The final breakfast below in the Tiro Stoneware Bowl.
3. Chocolate Cashew Mylk
Not much of a breakfast person? Miss Milk?
This a recreation of Deliciously Ella’s Chocolate mylk which I tried in London. It’s a rich, filling drink, snack or treat, but it’s healthy enough to drink for breakfast!
What you need:
- 1 Cup Soaked Cashews (the longer you soak them the better! Overnight is best, but an hour is perfect)
- 1 Cup Water
- 1/2 Cup Medjool dates or soaked pitted dates (I’ve tried both, and normal dates are fine!)
- 1/2 Tsp Maca
- 4 Tsp Cocoa
- Pinch of Himalayan salt
- Whizz it all up in your nutribullet, and refrigerate. It’s best enjoyed cold!
TIP: Drink within a day or two.
4. Quick Homemade Granola
The other day I was craving granola at home but didn’t feel like going out to buy any. I also don’t love most store bought granolas.
So I looked in my cupboard and pulled out all the mixed nuts, seeds, oats, coconut flakes I could find, conducted an experiment and the result was delicious.
What you need:
- Handful of chopped nuts (variety is nice, but whatever you have at home will work)
- Handfuls of seeds (think pumpkin seeds, linseeds, sunflower seeds) just watch out for them, they do pop in the pan!
- Handful of rolled oats
- Handful of coconut flakes
- 1 TBS Coconut Oil
- 1 TBS Maple Syrup
- Pinch of Salt
- Sprinkle of Cinnamon or a sprinkle of Cocoa if you feel like chocolate.
Melt the coconut oil in a big shallow pan, and throw in all the dry ingredients and cook the nuts and seeds until toasty.
Stir in the maple syrup for a bit of sweetness, and flavour with cinnamon or cocoa.
Serve warm, with coconut yoghurt and fresh fruit.
Your house will smell amazing and you’ll feel like Nigella!
5. Speckled Oats
Add some Omega’s to your morning oats.
- 1/2 Cup Rolled Oats
- 1 Tsp Chia
- 1 Tbs Flaxseeds
Add ingredients to 1 Cup of water, and bring to the boil, allow to simmer and stir for 10 minutes or less.
Serve with almond milk, 1 Tsp of peanut butter, 1 Tsp cocoa and fresh fruit.
All homeware from the new Country Road range in stores and online.
Thank you Country Road for partnering with me on this post.
I always have and always will be a fan of their beautiful products.