TUESDAY 18 FEBRUARY, 2014 / COMMENTS 
For all the ladies living or working in "The Parks" area, there is an amazing nail bar called Polish Nail Spa in Parkwood. You go in for an hour max, sip a perfect (and I mean perfect) flat white from The Park Cafe, and emerge a new person. Caffeine and Acetone can do that.
Red is my current go to colour. The nails are shellac and are still perfect a week later, and my toes were OPI (I forget the name, but it was something spicy).
Shop Nr 5, The Parks Shopping Centre, Cnr Wells & Jan Smuts Avenue, Parkwood.
THURSDAY 14 NOVEMBER, 2013 / COMMENTS 
1. Tonight is the launch of the Monocle book "A guide to better living' at Warm & Glad.
Alban's Square, 357 Jan Smuts Avenue, Craighall Park, 2196 Johannesburg, Gauteng. Time: 5 - 7pm. Go for a glass of wine and a short talk about "the quality of life" by Dion Chang.
2. Want to get your hands on tickets to an exclusive Sergeant Pepper event. You can this weekend at Wolves. All the details are on Sergeant Peppers page here.
3. It's the 94.7 Cycle challenge on Sunday so if you're not riding plan a nice sleep in and breakfast at home because a lot of the roads will be closed off in the morning. If you are riding... good luck!
4. The first ever Jozi Enjoy event is happening on Sunday evening. First up is Matthew Mole (and a few other bands) playing a nice chilled gig at Burnsides cafe. R120 get's you a pizza and a show. Tickets are limited (go here for more details).
Keep it real.
THURSDAY 7 NOVEMBER, 2013 / COMMENTS 
A few cool things happening this weekend in Joburg (starting tonight, because thursday is the new friday).
1. Night of 1000 drawings is on tonight at the Scibono centre in Newtown. Tickets are only R30 and you could score yourself a nice piece of art for R100 (all proceeds going to an amazing cause). Read more about it here.
2. The night market is on at Market on Main tonight.
3. Food Wine Design starts tomorrow on the roof of Hyde Park Corner. If you like good food, incredible wine and buying beautiful designed things this fair is a feast. Tickets are R80.
4. Nestlé SA and their digital agency, NATIVE VML, are celebrating the announcement of Android™ KitKat with Chocnology with an exhibition of 3D-printed sculptures made entirely out of chocolate. Ten talented local artists were recruited to design the edible artworks using Android™ KitKat as their inspiration. The exhibition is on at MOAD (which is a flipping cool venue we shot at about a month ago) from tonight 7th November until Sunday 10th November.
5. The Rosebank Rooftop market has moved and in it's place arrives the Finders Keepers market, launching this Sunday, the 10th November. I'm hoping for a lot of cool vintage stalls but we'll see? Really hoping for something different.
and that's it for my first edition of "Weekend recreation".. have an amazing weekend everybody!
THURSDAY 24 OCTOBER, 2013 / COMMENTS 
Guys it's almost time for the Sanlam Investments FoodWineDesign Fair! This is one of my favourite events of the year. I always taste something i've never had before (like these stuffed zucchini flowers above), always find a new delicious wine to stock our racks with and always find soo many beautiful desirable design objects.
It's back on the roof of Hyde Park Corner from 8 - 10 November 2013.
Friday 8 November: 12pm - 10pm
Saturday 9 November: 10am - 10pm
Sunday 10 November: 10am - 4pm
All the favourites are back this year including Anatomy design, Craft Liquor merchants, Inverroche Distillery (Gin!), Idiom wines, Dear Rae, Pichulik, Skinny laMinx and sooo many more. For a full list of exhibitors go visit the FWD site here.
I'm running an incredibly cool giveaway this year. I'm giving away rugs from Barrydale Hand Weavers and 5 x sets of tickets to the fair with one of the winners receiving a R3000 Sanlam unit trust investment towards your ULTIMATE, once in your lifetime food, wine or design trip/experience.
1st Prize: 1 set of tickets + R3000 Sanlam Unit Trust Investment
Runners up: 4 x double tickets + a bedside rug from Barrydale Hand Weavers.
Is it your dream to go champagne tasting in France? or perhaps to go on the ultimate foodie tour of all the best spots in New York City? I have so many of these food and wine fantasies. I would love to go back to Babylonstoren (this time for a full week of relaxing, eating and drinking), or perhaps go back to Italy , stay in a Villa and spend a few days sampling the best cheese and wine of the region.
Whatever your dream is, this is your opportunity to get a bit of head start in saving up for it ; )
1. Tell me what your ultimate once in your lifetime Food Wine or Design dream is in the comments section below.
2. Tweet about it for an extra entry using the hashtag #EJN_FWDTweet #EJN_FWD
I will draw all the winners in 2 weeks time on the 7th November (just in time for the fair!).
TUESDAY 8 OCTOBER, 2013 / COMMENTS 
We were shooting in Maboneng on Saturday and stumbled upon Cocobel, a bright, new food truck in town that specialises in Granitas (felt like Spain!), frozen yoghurt and other sweet delicacies.
We tried their granitas, and those really hit the spot on a hot day. We tried the Rose & Litchi, and Pineapple & Mango, but their flavours seem to change and evolve regularly.
How flipping sweet is their bright turquoise food truck? Very nice use of a shipping container and an old Chevy!
MONDAY 18 NOVEMBER, 2013 / COMMENTS 
There was a pretty cool event on last night called Jozi Enjoy at Burnside's cafe in Craighall (organized and hosted by my friends at G1 Rosebank).
It was a lovely warm evening of chilled music, damn good pizza and a couple of ice cold G&T's.
I decided last minute to make a little iphone video of the night using the 8mm app and it turned out really nicely (even for phone quality). It was so easy to put together and i'm super keen to make a lot more of these for future events/holidays.
TUESDAY 12 NOVEMBER, 2013 / COMMENTS 
Last night I finally went with some friends to go watch the big band play at the Zoo Lake bowling club. Since April, every monday they've had "big band mondays".
and if you didn't know... "A big band is a type of musical ensemble that originated in the United States and is associated with jazz and the Swing Era typically consisting of rhythm, brass, and woodwind instruments totaling approximately 12 to 25 musicians." (Here's a little sample)
They had about 15 musicians that filled the club with beautiful tunes that made me want to get up and do the jive. We drank cheap G&T's and had a simple but tasty meal. Then the lovely Hannah (who is the wife of the guy who started the Bowls Big Band) got up and belted out "At last!" (Etta James)
All around it was an awesome night out. If you love old jazzy music, you'll love this band. They play every Monday at Bowls, and entrance free (there's a tip jar if you like what you hear).
FRIDAY 25 OCTOBER, 2013 / COMMENTS 
Guys, I have great news. You'll remember a couple of weeks ago Black Betty had a little pop up in Parkhurst? Well she's back for round two early next week!
The Pop-up will be at LALALUX in Parkhurst - 50 6th street, Parkhurst.
Tuesday 29 October 2013 - 10am - 5pm
Wednesday 30 October 2013 10am - 7pm (for all the worker bees, come after work.. have a drink in Parkhurst afterwards. Can't lose!)
Both the Treacle range and the Polki Diamond range will be there so bring your credit cards, and come do a bit of early christmas shopping.
MONDAY 21 OCTOBER, 2013 / COMMENTS 
Calling all creative business owners wanting to learn a bit more about social media and marketing. The lovely, Durban creative Nadia is coming to Johannesburg in November to host a few workshops just for you.
"The workshops are aimed at creative business owners in a variety of fields from photography and design to crafters or even bloggers. If you have your own business and want to learn and prosper, then the workshops are ideal. The topics range from social media to creative marketing ideas and there are two types of workshops – one for beginners and one for intermediates. The Beginner Workshops are ideal for business owners who would to learn the basics. The Intermediate Workshops are for those who are in the industry and on the right track, but would perhaps like step it up a notch.
Creatives who attend can look forward to a day of learning with practical examples and case studies of successful businesses. The day is the ideal platform for networking within a creative environment. All the courses include a delicious lunch, snacks, a really lovely goodie bag and a host of giveaways from wonderful brands."
Dates for Beginner Workshops:
Saturday 16th November 2013
Thursday 21st November 2013
Dates for Intermediate Workshops:
Tuesday 19th November 2013
Saturday 23rd November 2013
Venue: Clico Boutique Hotel - 27 Sturdee Avenue, Rosebank, Johannesburg
Times: 09h00 - 17h00
Cost: R1200 per full-day workshop (Payment plans optional)
For more details go visit Nadia's blog. Or email here to book a spot - email@example.com
WEDNESDAY 4 SEPTEMBER, 2013 / COMMENTS 
So as you might have picked up I went to an amazing festival in London called Latitude last month. One of the absolute highlights for me was Alt-J.
They were so so good live, and everybody in that that tent was dancing and singing, and going crazy.
That's why i'm so excited for round two here on SA soil. Alt-J are playing at the Vodacom in the City in about a months time, along with boys noize, the hives and skunk anansie at Mary Fitzgerald square and I have two tickets to give away to one of you!
To enter all you have to do is:
Leave a comment below telling me who you're most excited to see live.
For extra entries:
1. Share this post on facebook.
2. Tweet about it, using the hashtag #VITC2013 and don't forget to include me in your tweet.Tweet
I will draw a name on the 20th September 2013. Good luck!
The competition doesn't stop there:
You can also win 10 double VIP tickets for voting for which local band you'd like to see join the lineup. Go here to pick and vote. I'd personally love to see Beatenberg live, so my vote is for them!