THURSDAY 14 NOVEMBER, 2013 / COMMENTS 
I found this awesome old "swing dancing" instructional video on youtube this week. Why don't people dance like this anymore? I want to open a club where it's all about swing dancing... now I just need to learn how.
Anyone know any cool instructors in Joburg?
TUESDAY 12 NOVEMBER, 2013 / COMMENTS 
Last night I finally went with some friends to go watch the big band play at the Zoo Lake bowling club. Since April, every monday they've had "big band mondays".
and if you didn't know... "A big band is a type of musical ensemble that originated in the United States and is associated with jazz and the Swing Era typically consisting of rhythm, brass, and woodwind instruments totaling approximately 12 to 25 musicians." (Here's a little sample)
They had about 15 musicians that filled the club with beautiful tunes that made me want to get up and do the jive. We drank cheap G&T's and had a simple but tasty meal. Then the lovely Hannah (who is the wife of the guy who started the Bowls Big Band) got up and belted out "At last!" (Etta James)
All around it was an awesome night out. If you love old jazzy music, you'll love this band. They play every Monday at Bowls, and entrance free (there's a tip jar if you like what you hear).
THURSDAY 7 NOVEMBER, 2013 / COMMENTS 
A few cool things happening this weekend in Joburg (starting tonight, because thursday is the new friday).
1. Night of 1000 drawings is on tonight at the Scibono centre in Newtown. Tickets are only R30 and you could score yourself a nice piece of art for R100 (all proceeds going to an amazing cause). Read more about it here.
2. The night market is on at Market on Main tonight.
3. Food Wine Design starts tomorrow on the roof of Hyde Park Corner. If you like good food, incredible wine and buying beautiful designed things this fair is a feast. Tickets are R80.
4. Nestlé SA and their digital agency, NATIVE VML, are celebrating the announcement of Android™ KitKat with Chocnology with an exhibition of 3D-printed sculptures made entirely out of chocolate. Ten talented local artists were recruited to design the edible artworks using Android™ KitKat as their inspiration. The exhibition is on at MOAD (which is a flipping cool venue we shot at about a month ago) from tonight 7th November until Sunday 10th November.
5. The Rosebank Rooftop market has moved and in it's place arrives the Finders Keepers market, launching this Sunday, the 10th November. I'm hoping for a lot of cool vintage stalls but we'll see? Really hoping for something different.
and that's it for my first edition of "Weekend recreation".. have an amazing weekend everybody!
TUESDAY 5 NOVEMBER, 2013 / COMMENTS 
Dear Rae have just launched their beautiful new Luxury range and got Gareth Hubbard to help create this beautiful lookbook for them. There are so many beautiful pieces here that I would love for christmas.
MONDAY 28 OCTOBER, 2013 / COMMENTS 
I'm sitting with Dylan in a coffee shop drinking R10 cappuccinos after a crazy weekend of shooting. My head and my body feel tired, and verging on flu like symptoms so i'm taking today off and i'm not going to feel guilty about it.
I quickly ran out of the puny 20 mb of free internet from the coffee shop, so I started looking through a couple of our travel albums on my desktop when I came across this awesome picture of when Dylan and I stopped to drink coffee in Lake Como.
We stopped at a tiny town, had the cheapest cappuccino in all of Italy (90 cents) and took in the incredible view. It was only a few months ago but it already feels like a faded memory, which made me sad, so I stared into the photograph for longer and tried to remember exactly how I felt when I took it.. how awestruck I was by the colour of the lake and the dramatic mountains behind it. The cute Italians going about their weekend and tanning on the bank. Our delicious cappuccinos and the adventure ahead.
I loved that brief moment, and remembering it made me incredibly grateful. Grateful for the 'faded memory' of an awesome adventure, but also realizing i'm on another great adventure right now.
THURSDAY 14 NOVEMBER, 2013 / COMMENTS 
1. Tonight is the launch of the Monocle book "A guide to better living' at Warm & Glad.
Alban's Square, 357 Jan Smuts Avenue, Craighall Park, 2196 Johannesburg, Gauteng. Time: 5 - 7pm. Go for a glass of wine and a short talk about "the quality of life" by Dion Chang.
2. Want to get your hands on tickets to an exclusive Sergeant Pepper event. You can this weekend at Wolves. All the details are on Sergeant Peppers page here.
3. It's the 94.7 Cycle challenge on Sunday so if you're not riding plan a nice sleep in and breakfast at home because a lot of the roads will be closed off in the morning. If you are riding... good luck!
4. The first ever Jozi Enjoy event is happening on Sunday evening. First up is Matthew Mole (and a few other bands) playing a nice chilled gig at Burnsides cafe. R120 get's you a pizza and a show. Tickets are limited (go here for more details).
Keep it real.
MONDAY 11 NOVEMBER, 2013 / COMMENTS 
Zana is a lovely lifestyle brand based in Woodstock, CT that creates a range of beautiful homey goods including cushions, bags and other paper goods. Their bold colours and prints are flipping gorgeous and i'm lucky enough to have a few of their nice products in my home. I bought a set of their anchor cushions a few months ago for our lounge and then last week received this lovely pouch bag below, as well as a 'YAY' wall hanging (which you can learn how to make here) which I looove and is currently making my kitchen very happy and bright.
Robyn & Melissa (the two lovely lasses behind Zana).
I'm giving away this lovely anchor pouch below to one of you lovely readers.
All you have to do is leave a comment blog telling me what Zana product you love the most (go have a look at everything here!)
I will draw a winner next week Monday the 18 November 2013. Good luck! :)
(Photos by Lindie Meyer (a few are my mine too) )
WEDNESDAY 6 NOVEMBER, 2013 / COMMENTS 
Thank to everyone who commented, tweeted and entered this competition. I loved reading all your entries!
The winners are as follows:
Hasmita, Danae, Natasha Day and Tracey - you have all won double tickets to FoodWineDesign and an awesome rug from BarryDale Weavers
Robyn Swart! Congrats girl - you've just wone a R3000 Sanlam Unit Trust Investment plus tickets to FoodWineDesign this weekend.
Congratulations to all the winners and maybe see this weekend :)
MONDAY 4 NOVEMBER, 2013 / COMMENTS 
Jane Sews just teamed up with Brooklyn based photographer Amber Mahoney for their MY SUMMER WITH JANE campaign. It stars the gorgeous Hannah Kristina Metz, and was styled up by Emily Theobald with special appearances from Young Frankk , Etymology and Beacon's Closet. I love the dreamy nostalgic feel to these polaroids. It makes me want to pack my bags and go on a road trip, and stop to run into sunflower fields along the way.
Follow the #mysummerwithjane campaign on instagram - it's so nice to how people have styled up their different outfits all over the country.
FRIDAY 25 OCTOBER, 2013 / COMMENTS 
Guys, I have great news. You'll remember a couple of weeks ago Black Betty had a little pop up in Parkhurst? Well she's back for round two early next week!
The Pop-up will be at LALALUX in Parkhurst - 50 6th street, Parkhurst.
Tuesday 29 October 2013 - 10am - 5pm
Wednesday 30 October 2013 10am - 7pm (for all the worker bees, come after work.. have a drink in Parkhurst afterwards. Can't lose!)
Both the Treacle range and the Polki Diamond range will be there so bring your credit cards, and come do a bit of early christmas shopping.